Injured by an uninsured driver? See how to make a claim from the MIB

Posted Feb 05, 2018.
Despite big increases over the past 10 years in the use of ANPR (Automatic Numberplate Recognition) cameras and easy to check police databases, there are still a significant number of uninsured – whether intentionally or unintentionally – cars, vans and other vehicles on the UK road network.  If you are unlucky enough to involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver, you are still able to make a claim whether or not you have been injured.

Such uninsured and untraced claims are dealt with by the Motor Insurance Bureau (‘MIB’ for short), an independent organisation, founded in 1946, that exists to compensate victims of such road accidents. The MIB, through Section 95 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, is funded via compulsory membership & contributions from all insurers involved in providing motor vehicle insurance in the UK. 

Before approaching the MIB with a claim, the following steps should be followed:

1. Get the other drivers details – try to get as much information as you can, but in particular the other drivers full name, address, phone / email details, etc, as well as the registration number, make & model of the vehicle involved. If you can, also try and get any insurance details and photo’s of the accident scene can be extremely useful later on.

2. Contact the police – failure to report an accident or provide details following an accident is a criminal offence, so if this has happened to you make sure you report this to the police and keep a note of the reference number (log number) they give you as this will vital when approaching the MIB.

3. Contact your insurer – reporting any accidents to your own insurer will be a policy condition, so make sure you do this as soon as possible. 

4. Check if the other vehicle was insured – whilst you cant do this directly yourself, your insurance company or your solicitor will be able to check this via the UK-wide AskMid database. If the result comes back ‘negative’ – that is, no insurance can be found – then the MIB can now be involved.

The MIB deal with claims in 2 main ways, through the Untraced Driver Agreement or the Uninsured Driver Agreement, each of which has its own rules, including the level of compensation that you may be awarded. It is always best to seek legal advice to guide you through the process and to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.