Accidents in Public

Accident in Public Solicitors - Public Place Injuries Compensation Claims

A large number of our cases relate to injuries sustained in public places such as shops, bars, clubs and on the public highway. Property owners including local councils have an obligation to ensure that their premises are properly maintained and kept free of hazards and defects that might cause someone to suffer an injury. When corners are cut, premises are poorly maintained or not kept free from hazards then those who are injured as a result have a right to make a claim. Our specialist lawyers at Bakers Solicitors can help.

Read our guide on: Making an Injury Claim against a Council or Local Authority 

We Are Experts In Obtaining Compensation For The Victims Of Accidents In Public Places

If you are one of thousands of British citizens injured in an accident in a public place, Bakers Solicitors will work to achieve the best outcome for you with respect to your personal injury claim. We have assisted clients to successfully claim compensation following accidents such as:

The responsibility for the accident will often lie with the owner of the property on which the accident took place or the local authority responsible for maintaining public areas. They have a legal responsibility known as a "duty of care" to minimise the risk of accidents.

For additional information please visit: How to make a claim when you have had an accident in a public place.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

If you were injured in a public place, whether you slipped at the supermarket or your child was bitten by the neighbour's dog, Bakers Solicitors has a dedicated team of specialist Personal Injury Solicitors ready to assist you.

Call Bakers Solicitors now, on  FREEPHONE 0800 731 7284 for FREE impartial advice as to whether you have a claim.


You should make a note of as much information as you can regarding where the accident occurred and what/who caused it. Also try to get detail of anyone who may have witnessed the accident.  Then call us on 0800 731 7284 and we will take all the necessary information from you and talk you through the steps in how to progress your case.

This would depend on what caused the accident. If you have fallen due to a defect in the road or pavement it would be the local highways authority who are responsible as they have a duty to maintain the highways to a reasonable standard.

You would call us on 0800 731 7284 and we would take full details from you regarding your accident, the injury suffered and all the relevant personal information.. We will then contact the person or company responsible for your accident with a standard claim form which they would pass to their insurance company.  After that the insurance company has a specified period of 30 days to investigate your claim and provide their decision on whether they accept that they are responsible or not. The next steps are usually a medical report and the completion of a schedule of your losses and thereafter negotiation of your appropriate settlement figure.

You have three years from the date of your accident to issue Court proceedings, so you will need to have made the claim within that period but the sooner the claim is made the better.

The owner of the dog is responsible.  Certain types of dog are dealt with under the Dangerous Dogs Act an if they attack someone the owner is automatically liable.  Even if the dog is not listed in the Dangerous dogs act the owner still might be responsible.  Most dog owners now have pet insurance which would cover the claim made.

If the accident happened abroad you can still claim, but we could only assist you if the accident happened whilst on package holiday and in an area of the hotel or resort which form part of that package.  If your accident happened in the street away from the resort then you would need to seek advice from a solicitor in the country the accident happened.

If you have fallen because of defect in the pavement or as a result of someone else’s fault you can claim the personal injury you have suffered. This is because the law imposes duties upon the highway authority and others to make sure that you are safe whilst using public areas.