Whilst working as a bar tender, Alexander was taking out a heavy bin bag to the commercial dustbin and as he swung it up to get it over the side, a piece of glass inside the bin bag came though the bag and cut his arm. He was taken to hospital suffering from a laceration to his left elbow.

Alexander had not been provided with any gloves or protective clothing for the task and as there was no separate bin for glass bottles or broken glass provided, it had been put in with all the waste, which was clearly not a safe working practice. Alexander received £4,000 compensation.

See our full list of 'Accidents at Work' services.